About Me

My photo
I'm a Christan wife and mother who teaches special needs students. I want to seek Him more and share Him in all I do.

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Pattern for Prayer

God is so good. I feel super blessed to know that I am a sinner, but God's grace and mercy abounds!

Yesterday I missed church because of unforeseen things coming up. I did want to hear a sermon and went to youtube to watch something by Francis Chan. I picked this one: The most inportant lesson I could ever teach. I really had a hard time focusing on it, but I was determined and completed it with some breaks. It was about how us Christians don't really read the Bible for ourselves. Ouch was all I could think. How true! I feel like I get enough from other sources that I rarely pick up my Bible and study it for myself. Praying that I seek more one on one Bible and God time without the help of others.

Today I received an email devotion from Biblegateway.com. It came from the book; True Identity The Bible for women. The title was A Pattern for Prayer. The Bible passage for today was Nehemiah 1:1–1. This is where Nehemiah finds out how bad Jerusalem is. Nehemiah was so upset by this he stopped and wept. He mourned and fasted for days crying out to God.

Here is a portion of the devotion:

"First, Nehemiah acknowledged who God is: “the great and awesome God.” When we focus on who God is, it helps to put our own problems into proper perspective.
Next Nehemiah acknowledged who he himself was: God’s servant. When we maintain an attitude of humility toward our heavenly Father, we are reminded of our dependence on God.
Then Nehemiah confessed his own sins and the sins of the Israelites. He didn’t gloss over the transgressions but stated them in honest repentance. Repentance freed him—and can free us—to make the next step in prayer.
Awed, humbled and forgiven—Nehemiah reminded God of his promises to his people. He recounted God’s promises to the children of Israel and interceded for his people, asking God to hear his prayer and favor him.
What situation has brought you to tears? If it is enough to touch your heart, it’s enough to bring you to your knees. Follow Nehemiah’s pattern: Acknowledge who God is and who you are, confess your sins and remind God of his promises." 

I can recall a few times where I have truly cried out to God tears and all for something, but is that enough. How often I hear news or prayer concerns and they touch my heart, but I don't cry out to God like Nehemiah did. I am so thankful that we have Nehemiah's prayer and his pattern as an example of how to go to God.

Crazy Love update: I am still reading it and digesting all that Chan lays out. This book really has me truly thinking and praying about my Christianity and my walk with God.

I pray you are seeing God in the little things daily. Continue to seek Him in all you do. Remember "The LORD is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous." Proverbs 15:29

CA 

No comments:

Post a Comment